At some point during the lifetime, most people have the strong urge to conceive a child. Therefore, understanding normal fertility is very important for a person or a couple who is planning for a child and also to know when is the appropriate time for them to look for help if they are not able to conceive. A successful pregnancy is achieved as a result of a process that has following steps :
According to the statistics, majority of the couples can achieve successful pregnancy within one year of trying. However about 6% of the females aged between 20-44 years are unable to get pregnant even after one year of trying leading to infertility.
Infertility thus can be defined as not being able to conceive or get pregnant after one year of unprotected sex. It occurs as a result of problem in any or more than one of the above mentioned steps of pregnancy.
As per World Health Organization - Infertility is defined as the Inability of a Sexually Active, Non Contracepting Couple to achieve clinical pregnancy in one year in couples with age less than 35 years and six months in couples with more than 35 years of age.
Infertility can be categorized into 3 main types. They are :
Most of the couples struggle with infertility problem, however it is often considered as women’s problem, which is in fact not the case. Men and Women equally contribute to infertility. In approximately 35% of couples facing infertility issues, a male infertility factor has been identified along with a female factor whereas in 8% of couples, a male infertility factor is the only identifiable cause of infertility.
A woman needs normally functioning ovaries, fallopian tubes and a uterus to conceive. Conditions affecting any one of these organs can contribute to female infertility. Enlisted below are few of the conditions that can result in female infertility:
A) Disruption in Ovulation and Ovarian Function : A woman has regular menstrual periods also known as menstrual cycles, on average, 28 days long. A regular cycle occurring between every 24 to 32 days always indicates that a female is ovulating regularly. Ovulation of an egg is very essential for pregnancy. If a woman has menstrual cycles at an interval of greater than 35 days, it may indicate that she is not ovulating an egg as required, or even at all. Thus, a comprehensive evaluation is indicated in females who are attempting pregnancy if her menstrual cycles are infrequent or irregular.
When a woman does not ovulate during a menstrual cycle, it is called as anovulation. The causes for the same are enlisted below :
One can’t prevent many causes of blocked fallopian tubes, but one can always decrease the risk of sexual transmitted infections by practicing safe sex.
B) Tubal Occlusions or Blockage : Fallopian Tube occlusion is one of the causes of infertility in females since an ovulated egg will not be able to get fertilized by sperm or to reach the endometrial cavity if the tube is blocked. Risk factors for blocked fallopian tubes comprises of :
C) Abnormal Uterine Outline : Female’s Uterus needs to be examined carefully to check for fibroids, the presence of which can result in infertility.
D) Advancing Age : Female age-related infertility is the most common cause of infertility today as in modern world; women are delaying child birth until their 30s and 40s, which has known to cause adverse effect on egg function. As women ages, the number of eggs in the ovaries decreases at a rapid rate. In addition, with advancing age the quality and the chances of an egg being genetically normal also decrease. Hence the ability to conceive a normal pregnancy decreases when a woman is in her 30s or 40s.
Infertility in males can be caused by several factors and often evaluated by semen analysis. A specialist looks for the number, motility and morphology of sperms in the semen analysis. The normal values for semen analysis are given below :
|1||Volume||2.0 ml or more|
|3||Sperm Count||40 Million or more per ml|
|4||Motility||50% or more motile|
|5||Morphology||15% or more normal forms|
|6||WBC’s||Less than 1 million/ml|
|7||Viability||50% or more alive sperms|
A slightly abnormal semen analysis does not mean that a man is necessarily infertile. Instead, a semen analysis helps determine if and how male factors are contributing to infertility.
Following are few of the important causes that causes male infertility :
1. Problem is testicular or ejaculatory function : There can be issues in functioning of testis which may lead to problems in ejaculation. Enlisted below are few of the factors responsible for this issue -
2. Hormonal disturbances : This includes :
3. Genetic Disorder : Genetic conditions like Klinefelter’s syndrome, Myotonic dystrophy, Y-chromosome micro deletion, etc. may cause low or no sperm production.
Treatments for infertility can be decided on the basis of :
Following are the treatment options for the couples facing infertility issues :
1. Medications : Medications can be given to induce egg development and normal ovulation. The medications that help to stimulate the ovary in order to develop mature eggs for ovulation come in two forms: pills that can be taken by mouth and injections.
2. Intrauterine Insemination : Intrauterine insemination, also known as IUI, is a process by which sperm is washed and prepared for placement into the uterine cavity, therefore bypassing the cervix and bringing a higher concentration of motile sperm closer to the tubes and ovulated egg. In order to accomplish this, the semen is washed with a solution safe to sperm and eggs, and then centrifuged to separate motile sperm from immotile sperm and other cells. Those motile and viable sperm are then placed in a very small amount of solution, and then very gently and painlessly injected into the uterine cavity using a very thin, soft, and flexible catheter. At least one open tube is required for IUI, and any sperm abnormality cannot be severe, otherwise the sperm will not be able to swim to and fertilize the egg.
3. In-vitro Fertilization (IVF) : In vitro mean “outside the body.” IVF is a process in which eggs are collected from the female ovaries and then fertilized by sperm outside the body, in a specialized embryology laboratory. IVF is a revolutionary treatment option as it allows successful pregnancies in women that were previous deemed permanently infertile. This procedure involves following steps :
4. Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) : ICSI is an advanced form of IVF in which each egg is individually injected with a single sperm using a tiny needle under microscopic guidance. The resulting embryo is then cultured similarly to an embryo as produced in a non-ICSI IVF treatment.
India is one of the most affordable places for Infertility Treatment across the globe. We certainly understand that if you have chosen to travel overseas for your Infertility Treatment, then you are indeed looking for cost effectiveness. When you speak about the best, MedicoExperts is the name you can trust on. Modern technology, State of the art hospitals, most coveted gynecologist and fertility specialists, excellent infrastructure at par with international standards, no language barrier, personalized attention, safe surgery and seamless travel are some of our zeniths which magnetizes individuals worldwide to get their Infertility Treatment in India done through us.
We are thus committed to offer you the best possible and special negotiated prices for your Infertility Treatment without compromising on the quality of medical services and results. Here's a look at the approximate costs of Infertility Treatment in India :
|SNo||Name of Procedure||Cost in India (USD)|
|1||Infertility Evaluation Package||600 - 1000|
|2||Medical Management||700 - 1200|
|3||Intrauterine Insemination||500 - 1000|
|4||In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)||3000 - 6000|
|5||Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)||3500 - 6000|
At MedicoExperts, we understand the significance of your health and well-being. Our aim is to provide you the best options and outcomes for your Infertility Treatment in India at our top associate hospitals in India. We understand that while you choose to travel abroad for your Infertility Treatment in India, you would surely look for cost savings and that is why we have special negotiated prices for you and offering you best possible prices for the top quality of facility and services.
We would also provide you end to end assistance for your medical trip to India and shall provide complete solution for your Infertility Treatment- right from assisting you with the visa, hotel arrangements, airport pick up and drop, inland transfers, money exchange or sight-seeing and all other concierge services. We thus assure you hassle-free arrangements for evaluations, surgery, recuperation, stay and travel in India.
For more information and getting a tailor made treatment plan for your Infertility Treatment in India, please mail us your medical history at email@example.com.